Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Historical Fiction

Have you ever had those days when you have to get something done, but each time you go and do it, something gets in the way? That's my week. Now that everyone is in bed, I finally get to use the computer!

I love historical fiction. It is one of my favorite genres to read and teach because you can get so much from it. When trying to decide what novel to read, I talked with some of the high schoolers I work with and one book they recommended was "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. Now, some might say this isn't a YA historical fiction book, but I think I would disagree. It begins in Afghanistan in a city called Kabul. Amir, the main character, tells of his experiences living there when it had a monarchy. He describes a beautiful and (mostly) friendly country. It then leads you through the time that Russia over through the government to eventually the Taliban's reign. Amir and his father live in a posh home with two Hazara servants. One is a boy near Amir's age named Hassan. Because the Hazaras are a minority group, they are treated horribly by others and to some extent by Amir and his father. Amir tells of his jealousy and how he copes with it by the cruel things he does. All Amir wants is the approval of his father. Hassan is so devoted to Amir, that he'll do almost anything, which eventually leads to Hassan being raped by other boys. Amir is so ashamed he did nothing to stop it, he lies and gets Hassan and his father dismissed. For the rest of the novel he is torn by his guilt.

Amir and his father eventually flee to America away from a Russia occupied Afghanistan. They both have difficulties adjusting to a new land and culture, but eventually they begin to settle in. Unfortunately, Amir's father is diagnosed with cancer and dies. Amir, fulfills his dreams, but an opportunity comes that will help him atone for his wrong doings and he goes back to Afghanistan.

This book has so many themes that can be used with in a classroom. First off, there is racism. It is a strong theme throughout the book and can be used as a comparison to what has happened in America. There is also the idea of upper and lower class and moving from one extreme of it to the other suddenly. It begins with a boy who is wrestling with his own personal identity and living with the consequences of choices he has made. It also shows a glimpse of a war we hear little about in Afghanistan and helps us see into a culture that is often misunderstood, stereotyped, and thought of in a negative light. It is also relatable in the sense that Amir struggles with emotions and ideas that we also confront in our own lives: guilt, fear, love, hate, grief, shame, jealousy, etc... I could use this book in many ways within a classroom as a comparison to other novels. If teaching about civil rights or slavery in America, this book can be used as a comparison to what happens in other countries and how they handle it. If teaching about wartime and suppression by leaders (WWII, holocaust, etc...), this book deals with similar issues. It can also be used to help students look into our own society and see where our own shortcomings are and help students see into other cultures and learn more about tolerance. I loved this book and I can't wait to read its sequel.

4 comments:

  1. My husband and I read books out loud to each other when we are traveling and the Kite Runner was a book that we read. I have so many great memories from reading this story. It is a very powerful book and I can see how it could be a part of YA lit. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book! I have had it on my must read list for quite some time. (This class is making my list grow even more!)

    Do you think 8th grade students could handle this book? Or, is there an excerpt that would be good to use in the classroom when I am teaching about racism, tolerance, etc.?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also read this book and thought very highly of it. I think you could find parts to read aloud to address the themes of racism and tolerance, but there is definitely some heavy stuff. The parts about the abuse at the hands of other boys was very hard to read. I wouldn't recommend the book in its entirety to anyone younger than high school. But it is very eye-opening and a worthwhile read. I feel like it was one of the first books about the Middle East to become popular in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. There are definitely some great excerpts you can use, but there are many graphic and violent scenes, especially towards the end.

    ReplyDelete