Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Week 8: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Fiction

I believe that there are many different reasons why Science Fiction and Fantasy are such popular genres among young adults. The first is escapism. I know in the textbook it says that this is false assumption and not a reason, but I still disagree. Students have to face so much in their own lives that sometimes this genre offers an escape from reality. With that said, I think that this form of escapism also offers a less confrontational way for young adults to face similar issues that they are facing, but be able to see that there is a way out, fantastical, but there. Many students have told me that sometimes they'd rather live in these fantasy worlds than our own because it seems simpler, more fun, they can be someone else, play with cooler toys, or even have something that makes them special.

Another reason is it allows them to let their imagination run wild with things that fascinated them when they were younger, or even now that their peers may think is "dumb." Who wouldn't like to have supernatural powers or have technology that makes our lives simpler or out there. With the whole Twilight series, I think it satisfies this need, but like it says above, it also allows young adults to see how complicated life can be, but over come, with obstacles.

2 comments:

  1. Escapism and imagination... the two best reasons in my opinion, also, that science fiction and fantasy are fun.

    On the idea of who wouldn't like supernatural powers, have you ever posed the idea of what they would do with a ring that made them invisible? Or a cloak of invisibility? Well some answers are a little, um, inappropriate, you can actually see a great bit of imagination at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Many students have told me that sometimes they'd rather live in these fantasy worlds than our own because it seems simpler, more fun, they can be someone else, play with cooler toys, or even have something that makes them special."

    What you said here is reminds me of my students as well...not to mention myself. And, I know that my junior high students, on many occasions, would like to be able to be someone else, even if it is only for a day. I agree with so many of your other points as well. We are really on the same page! :)

    ReplyDelete